The mission of the Department of Mechanical Engineering is to contribute to the economic development of the State of Colorado and the Denver metropolitan area by providing high quality BS and MS/MEng programs in mechanical engineering for a diverse group of working students.
The bachelor of science in mechanical engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org/, under the General Criteria and the Mechanical Engineering Program Criteria.
Program Educational Objectives
The program offered by the mechanical engineering department of CU Denver can be completed in the afternoon and evening hours to accommodate both working and traditional students. The department seeks to graduate a diverse population of students with a bachelor’s degrees who within a few years of graduation are able to:
Student outcomes describe the characteristics of our students at the time of graduation. The ABET student outcomes for the BSME program are:
· an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
· an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
· an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
· an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
· an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
· an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
· an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.